1) Greet your stone with an air of respect for the lessons and gifts it’s
about to give you.
2) Spend time with it and look for any distinguishing characteristics,
unique veining or marks left by the millions of years it has been sitting
in the ground just waiting for you.
3) Sketch, doodle, dream, and repeat until you identify a direction. Not so
much an end but the feeling you would like the sculpture to convey.
4) Call upon your muses and begin. My favorites are the Beauty found in
nature and the Feminine Spirit.
5) Work simultaneously on all sides of the stone creating movement and
shape. Let your ideas evolve and watch them take shape.
6) Dance around the piece. Move way back and all around your sculpture
frequently to expand your perspective.
7) If you get stuck be patient. The stone will give you clues and guide you to your next
8) If you’re really stuck, leave and return. You will likely wake up with the
answer the next day.
9) Spend time evaluating all aspects of the piece and its design, in particular, the finish and how it will be displayed.
10) Once you are completely satisfied sign it and send your piece out into the world with Love.