The “Rays Artist Series” Project is a partnership between Creative Pinellas and Tampa Bay Rays, with the goal of having six Tampa Bay and surrounding area artists create a welcoming art gallery experience for fans at Tropicana Field.
This project’s purpose is to create an inviting first impression for all those traveling to Tropicana Field. The goal is to create a gallery space in the main concourse of the ballpark, featuring artwork created by artists living and working in the counties where Rays fans live.
Artists chosen for this project will create an original work around a sports theme that will be produced as a large scale, original artwork (72”x72”) on canvas that will be installed and exhibited at Tropicana Field.
Sports themes include:
- Jackie Robinson and The Rays: Celebrating Robinson’s historic MLB debut which broke Major League Baseball’s color barrier. The Rays host numerous community events and celebrations to honor the life and legacy of Jackie Robinson.
- Pride and The Rays : The message of inclusivity and belonging around our community – “Baseball is for EVERYONE.”
- Roberto Clemente and The Rays : Honoring the legacy of the 15 time, All Star and Hall of Famer who represents the game of baseball through sportsmanship, community involvement and positive contributions on and off the field. On Roberto Clamente Day in 2022, the Rays fielded a lineup of all Latino hitters and wore No. 21 with no name on the back, a first in MLB history.
- Rays 25th Anniversary: Celebrating the contributions of former players, managers, coaches and all who contributed to the Rays since the Devil Ray’s expansion franchise was recognized in 1995.
- Aki Iwamura: The player who sent the Tampa Bay Rays to their first World Series with the final out of Game 7 of the 2008 American League Championship Series against the Boston Red Sox. To view this play click here.
- Evan Longoria: The Ray’s superstar who delivered the walk off home run in the 12th inning game against the Yankees, sending the Rays to the playoffs in 2011. To view this play click here
The Rays will work directly with the artists to develop their design, and to create the final print version of the artwork including all production costs.
Artists chosen for this project will receive $1,500 for their original artwork design. Additionally, they will receive access to a suite at a Rays game and will have their work promoted nationally and internationally on the Rays website and through social media.
Who Can Apply?
Artists, designers and illustrators from Charlotte, Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pinellas, Pasco, Polk, and Sarasota are invited to apply to create artwork for this series.
Each eligible application submitted between May 1, 2023, and May 26, 2023, will be reviewed by a panel made up of a combination of artists, arts curators, and representatives from the Rays. Artists will be notified of their selection no later than June 9, 2023.
Upon notification, the Artist will receive detailed measurements and photos of the specific location. where the artwork will appear. Artists will have through June 19, 2023, to present two (2) design ideas in mockup form, for review and approval by the Rays. Once the design is chosen, Artists will have until July 26 to submit their final design.
Call To Artists Important Dates*:
- Call for Entries Open: Tuesday, April 25, 2023
- Call for Entries Close: Friday, May 26, 2023
- Selected Artist will be notified by Monday, June 5, 2023
- Artist Meeting: within 1 week of selection date
- Two Design Mock-Ups must be submitted by: June 19, 2023
- Artists submits first round final designs: July 10, 2023
- Rays Approval: July 14, 2023
- Artist Submits final design: July 26, 2023
- Artist submits camera ready artwork by: August 1, 2023
- Printing completed on: August 22, 2023
- Exhibition Launch: August 25, 2023 (6:40 p.m. game vs New York Yankees)
*All dates are tentative and subject to change
Interested artists will need to submit:
- Artists must be residents from Charlotte, Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee Pinellas, Pasco, Polk, and Sarasota.
In the application Artists will be asked to submit
- A short biography or resume
- 4-6 photographs or links to photographs of four or more examples of your original artwork that you created.
- A short description of your ideas of approaching the project to meet the goal of creating an inviting first impression for all those traveling to the Rays stadium. Please do not submit mockup designs for this project, it limits the process when evaluating you as an artist overall.
- Contact information for 3 references from past mural work, gallery shows, public art, or art curator or educator.
- Link to website and social media sites
- Applications are due by May 26, 2023, due via online application by clicking the link below to APPLY NOW
- If selected, artists will be asked to supply a W9
The Rays Artist Series is a partnership between Creative Pinellas and the Tampa Bay Rays MLB team with a goal of having local artists create original works of art that coincide with the Rays approved themes.
Due to the nature of this project the Rays will own the copyright to the work specifically created for print and exhibition at Tropicana Field. The Artist will have the right to show the work in their portfolio and as part of their personal marketing effort.
Cory Robinson, Arts Project Manager at Creative Pinellas- email@example.com or (860) 944-8847.
Recipients have been selected for this grant. Congratulations!