The PIE Gate 12 Mural Project is a partnership between Creative Pinellas and St Pete-Clearwater International Airport (PIE), with a goal of having a Pinellas County Artist create a welcoming art experience for visitors as they arrive on the ramp outside at the Gate 12 area at St Pete-Clearwater International Airport (PIE).
Exterior Gate wall ($6,000 + up to $1,000 for paint supplies)
- Outside wall 48 feet 6 inches wide by 9 feet 7 inches tall
The following will also be included in the prep for the project:
- Airport will prepare wall with smoothing, pressure wash and primed before artist starts work
- Onsite Storage for supplies during the project
- Lift on Site for duration of project
This project goal is to create an inviting first impression for all those traveling to and from the Tampa Bay area. Gate 12 is a walkthrough space on the outside of the building and is the first thing visitors see as they arrive. It is a chance to welcome travelers to their Florida destination and highlight the award-winning beaches, nature, culture, and arts in the Tampa Bay area.
This call is open to all Pinellas County Resident artists. In an effort to build a stronger representation of the diversity of artists and Tampa Bay Area community , Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC)muralists, LGBTQ+ muralists and women muralists are strongly encouraged to apply.
While this is a single mural project, there is another mural located to the left of this wall that will be completed at the same time. We would like the two pieces to feel complimentary to each other and will look to the artists to see how this could be achieved, while still creating unique pieces in their style.
If selected artists must pass a 10- year criminal background check and will be fingerprinted to gain security clearance for the project.
Artist Information Session:
Artist will have an opportunity to meet with Creative Pinellas and the airport to learn about the project and to ask any questions they may have during the application period.
- Artist will have an opportunity to meet with Creative Pinellas and the airport to learn about the project and to ask any questions they may have during the application period.
- Click Date to Register for Zoom meeting:
- Artist Info Session#1 : Friday, July 15 | 11:30am-12pm
- Artist Info Session #2 : Thursday, July 2 | 3:30pm-4pm
St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport (PIE)
14700 Terminal Blvd #221, Clearwater, FL 33762
Each eligible application submitted between July 5, 2022, to August 1, 2022, at 5pm will be reviewed by a panel of made up of a combination of a Creative Pinellas Representative, PIE Representatives, a Pinellas County based Mural Artist, Art Curators, or other members of the Arts community. Artists will be notified no later than August 15, 2022. If you are not selected, you will also be notified at that time.
Upon notification, the artist will receive detailed measurements and photos of your specific location and will have the opportunity to meet with airport representative and make an in person visit before starting your 3 Design Mock-Ups. At this time, you will also need to complete 10-yer criminal background check and fingerprinting before submitting the 3 Design Mockups for review.
After site review, security clearance, and meeting with PIE Partner, the artist will complete three (3) Mural Design Mock-Up proposals for approval from Creative Pinellas and PIE Representatives. The three Mural Design Mock-Up proposals should be submitted no later than September 15, 2022. Creative Pinellas and PIE Partner Representative will have up to 14 days for approval.
Call To Artists Important Dates*:
- Call for Entries Open: Tuesday, July 5, 2022
- Call for Entries Close: Monday, August 1, 2022
- Selected Artist will be notified by August 15, 2022
- Security Clearance application submitted when award accepted – must be submitted no later than August 24, 2022
- Artist/ PIE Partner Meeting: within 1 week of selection date
- Three Mural Design Mock-Up plans must be submitted by: September 15, 2022
- Approved no later than: October 3, 2022
- Earliest Possible start date: will be reviewed with artist, but earliest start date could be any time after October 14, 2022
- Final walk through: No later than December 12, 2022
- Touch Ups (if needed): 3 days to complete touch ups after walkthrough
- Final Payment: 30 days for final payment
*All dates are tentative and subject to change
The artist or artist collaboration stipend mural location will be
Mural #1 Exterior Wall : $6000
- A paint supply budget for Mural #1 Exterior Wall: up to $1,000
- A lift will be provided through Creative Pinellas if needed
- Airport will smooth, pressure wash and prime wall before artists start work.
- Parking will be provided to all artists at PIE throughout the on-site paint process
- First Payment of $250: at the sign of contract and approval of security clearance
- Second Payment of $750: upon the approval of a final design
- Materials Budget Supplied: upon submission of estimate of materials
- Third Payment of $1000: upon layout complete on walls
- Final Payment: upon completion and submission of all receipts for materials budget
Interested artists will need to submit:
- Artists must be a Pinellas County resident and if selected to do the project will be asked to complete a W9 and secure insurance for the duration of the project paint process, usually 30-60 days.
- If selected artists must pass a 10-year criminal background check and will be fingerprinted to gain security clearance for the project.
- A short biography or resume
- 4-6 photographs or links to photographs of four or more works, including images of previous murals of your design or have been lead on painting team.
- A brief written summary or description of your idea of approaching the project to meet goal of creating an inviting first impression for all those traveling to and from the Tampa Bay area with that to welcomes travelers to their Florida destination and highlights the award-winning beaches, nature, culture, and arts in the Tampa Bay area. . Please do not submit mockup designs for this project, it limits the process when evaluating you as an artist overall.
- Contact information for 3 references from past mural work or art show curator
- Link to website and social media sites
Applications are due by 5pm on August 1 2022, due via online application at SM APPLY link.
LEARN MORE About an additional opportunity at PIE
PIE Gate 12 Mural Project: Airside Curved Walls
APPLY TODAY! The PIE Gate 12 Mural Project is a partnership between Creative Pinellas and St Pete-Clearwater International Airport (PIE), with a goal of having a Pinellas County Artist create a welcoming art experience for visitors as they arrive on the ramp outside at the Gate 12 area at St Pete-Clearwater International Airport (PIE)…. Read More
Contact Lea Umberger, Arts Project Manager at Creative Pinellas- email@example.com or (727) 582-2172.
Recipients have been selected for this grant. Congratulations!