Creative Pinellas Managing Editor
We are looking for the right person to elevate the quality of our online magazine and related online products, and increase the impact, awareness and wow-factor of the arts in Pinellas County and of the County as an arts and cultural destination.
The Managing Editor will oversee daily operations of the magazine; recruiting, developing and managing a a team of contributing writers and visual content providers; developing themes and story lines; creating a content calendar; assigning and publishing articles; and keeping an eye on the voice overall to make sure we are both serving the arts community and readers far and wide.
We are seeking a candidate for this 20 hour/week, contract position who loves good writing and high quality journalism, who has an affinity for the arts, and ideally, who has experience and connections to the arts and culture community in Pinellas County/Tampa Bay area.
The Managing Editor is a collaborative role, working closely with curatorial partners, within and outside of the Creative Pinellas organization, and reporting to the Curatorial Manager.
The Managing Editor responsibilities are included in the following areas:
- Develop a content/editorial calendar for the magazine and newsletter spinoffs
- Plan and manage daily operations of the Creative Pinellas magazine
- Come up with storylines, ideas, features, etc. on a weekly/monthly/on-going basis
- Recruit writers, photographers, videographers and other creative contributors to provide content for the magazine
- Assign stories/work and manage responses and deadlines
- Proofread, edit/revise, and provide guidance to contributors
- Layout, insert images and hyperlinks, and publish articles submitted by contributors
- Meet regularly with the curatorial, cultural outreach and strategic initiatives partners in the organization to ensure alignment with the organization’s activities and objectives
- Work with monthly guest editors do determine theme and appropriate slate of articles for month.
- Develop spinoff newsletters/other materials to increase readership and loyalty
- Write social media summaries of articles and work with the marketing team to promote and drive readers to them
The ideal candidate:
- Has great and varied experience in writing and editing, with particular experience covering the arts
- Have an interest in and/or connection to the arts and cultural community and have a nose for a good story in the arts
- Is a strong editor, with a unique voice and vision and strong determination to excel
- Can generate great ideas for content and knows how to get it created
- Is skilled at motivating writers and visual content creators and getting them excited about what they are working on
- Is skilled at project management, managing to and communicating deadlines, goals, objectives and values
- Knows the difference between great writing and everything else, and chooses wisely
- Has a good feel for the visual qualities of an online magazine and how to present visuals and text in a compelling, interesting way
- Knows how to balance multiple balls, deadlines and individuals
- Comfortable with proofreading, layout, headline building, media libraries and all the tools and resources required to create a great magazine
Required Experience & Skills
- 3+ years writing and editing experience (including editing other’s work)
- Has a strong portfolio of work that demonstrates writing skill and the ability to collaborate and get the best out of others
- Solid knowledge of site building tools like Word Press (or similar), Microsoft Office products, Adobe Creative Cloud, etc.
- Well-developed verbal and written tools
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University is highly preferred
- Physical Requirements – This position involves standing, walking and occasionally kneeling, bending and lifting to 30 lbs.
Are you interested in starting a career with Creative Pinellas?