The C.E. Mendez Foundation in Tampa has an opening for a full-time in-house Illustrator/Graphic Designer.
This position works as part of the Program Development Team to create original drawings, illustrations and other imagery in the development of the Foundation’s education programs and products including the Too Good family of prevention education programs and activities in print and digital.
The Mendez Foundation is an established leader in the development of proven effective prevention education programs for school age children and adolescents nationwide. Too Good programs develop social emotional learning and resiliency skills to prepare children and adolescents to navigate their academic and social lives.
The ideal candidate has a variety of artistic abilities including, but not limited to, cartoon illustrations, children’s illustrations and realistic illustrations.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Collaborate with the Program Development team to conceptualize and develop creative ideas for workbooks, posters, books or other projects.
- Sketch drawings to communicate ideas visually with the development team.
- Combine hand-drawing and watercolor with digital media to create complete illustrations.
- Maintain fidelity to existing design language and standards within the existing body of work
- Create original memorable characters and enhance existing ones.
- Conceptualize and compose engaging character and scene illustrations.
- Consider the user experience surrounding the artwork created.
- Responsible for design, drafting, revising and execution of illustrations on schedule.
- Lead the artistic process from pre-production to final press ready files.
- Ensure that printed illustrations meet quality and color standards
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent drawing skills, attention to detail and ideas generation abilities.
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey thoughts clearly, logically and concisely.
- Ability and readiness to work on an established timetable, meet deadlines, follow instructions and accept direction.
- Self-directed and able to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Self-motivated and able to provide creative inspiration instinctively and out-of-the-box thinking.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design/arts or related discipline preferred.
- Proven work experience as an Illustrator, Graphic Designer or similar role.
- Minimum five years’ experience in print production.
- A strong portfolio of work including original illustrations and drawings.
- To apply, submit your resume along with 3-5 drawings to firstname.lastname@example.org.